As the temperature drops, the likelihood of experiencing dry, cracked skin rises. Pair that with running heat in your home again and your skin may feel like a desert. Don’t despair, though! There are plenty of steps you can take to prevent and repair dehydrating your skin to the point of severe discomfort.
- Coconut Oil - Rubbing coconut oil on your skin is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to treat dry, scaly & itchy skin. Consider it nature’s perfect moisturizer! Not to mention it also contains anti-aging & antimicrobial properties.
- Fermented Foods - Our skin’s health is closely associated with the health of & balance within our guts. Winter is the season to eat preserved foods anyway, so stock up on fermented foods that help promote to growth of healthy intestinal bacteria.
- Avoid Sugar & Processed Foods - This is something you should be doing all of the time, as cutting out or minimizing the amount of sugar or processed foods consumed will greatly improve your complexion and overall skin health.
- Dry Brush - Dry brushing your skin prior to showering will help remove flakes and dead skin.
- Cold(er) Showers - Hot showers will exacerbate dryness, so take the coldest showers you can tolerate.
- Avoid Soap - Soap also tends to worsen dry skin, instead try exfoliating with a natural body scrub that also contains oils for moisturizing.
- Hydration - Make sure you drink plenty of water! It’s easy to forget about staying hydrated when you’re not sweating or dealing with a hot sun on a daily basis, but drinking water throughout the day is one of the easiest ways to keep your skin healthy & moist.
While it may be impossible to get more time in your day, it’s certainly doable to get more thyme in your diet this fall. Not only is it a delectable accompaniment to many-a-autumn dishes (including any savory Thanksgiving fare), but it also packs a good amount of benefits to your overall health and skin. For [...]
Summer may be over, but perhaps you are planning a beach getaway this winter (we highly recommend it!) Whether or not that’s the case, don’t miss out on the myriad of beauty benefits that sea salt has, be it from dip in the ocean or a DIY recipe concocted from items in your pantry. Here [...]
Halloween is just around the corner, and that means kids are about to be filling up plastic pumpkins and pillowcases with highly processed and sugary candies, guaranteed to wreak havoc on tummies and skin alike. It's also a ton of extra calories in your kids diet! For instance, did you know that the average trick [...]
Hot sun and increased outdoor activities means it’s easy to become dehydrated during the summer months, and your skin is one of the first organs to feel the effects. If you’re skin feels rough or course, tight feeling with little elasticity, itchy, red and, in some severe cases, is cracked and bleeding, dehydrated skin may be contributing to the problem.Water [...]